Sunday 11 July 2010

WORLD CUP-LATEST PREDICTION - THE FINAL

WORLD CUP FINAL

SPAIN v HOLLAND

Looking at this game objectively, there is a considerable gap between the teams. Spain are way ahead of the rest of Europe. There are many - myself included - who would love to have seen Spain play Brazil today, as in many ways that would be the ultimate challenge for the majestic European Champions.

It's difficult to see how Holland can win. They have stated their intent to press Spain high up the pitch, to try and deny them the possession that they usually enjoy and employ to such devastating effect. Switzerland did show the world that it's possible to beat Spain, but like so many Champions-elect, the Spanish have progressed and improved as they have moved through the tournament to the Final.

Holland do have match-winners of their own. Arjen Robben is one of the best five players in the world right now in my book. And he could find himself face to face with the one possible weak link that Spain have - left-back Joan Capdevila. I feel Holland are going to need something special from Robben tonight if they are to unburden themselves of the two failures at the last hurdle in the 1970s.

As my predictions for this tournament have shown - I am notoriously bad at doing it! So if I get this last one wrong it's not going to further tarnish my reputation too much... Spain should win this game. But my gut tells me the Dutch are going to.

MATCH PREDICTION: SPAIN 1-2 HOLLAND

No comments:

Post a Comment